Getting Ready for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
10 April 2020
HMRC has posted the following guidance on getting ready to make a claim under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.
If you’re eligible for the scheme, there are things that you can do now to be ready when the system is up and running later this month.
You’ll need to provide the following to make a claim:
- The bank account number and sort code you’d like HMRC to use when they pay your claim.
- The name and phone number of the person in your business for HMRC to call with any questions.
- Your Self-Assessment UTR (Unique Tax Reference), Company UTR or CRN (Company Registration Number).
- The name, employee number and National Insurance number for each of your furloughed employees.
- The total amount being claimed for all employees and the total furlough period.
If you use an agent who is authorised to act for you for PAYE purposes, they will be able to make a claim on your behalf, so please speak to them now.
However, if you use a file-only agent (files your RTI return but doesn’t act for you in other matters), they won’t be able to make a claim for you and you’ll need the information listed above from them to make the claim yourself.
For more detailed advice, please visit GOV.UK. This guidance is being regularly updated, so please review it frequently.
You may also find this recorded webinar helpful, 'Coronavirus (COVID-19) Job Retention Scheme', available on HMRC’s YouTube channel.
Within the next few days HMRC hopes to provide more details on how and when to access the online system for making a claim – please do not try to do this until you have found out that it is available.
To find out all of the ways you can contact HMRC and their opening times go to